Say 'Grace'. Let's Eat!

I have a large extended family. When we are together for the annual family reunion (which I never know everyone there… I just know somehow we are related) or I am with the family I do know at Christmas and Thanksgiving; at some point someone will say, “Let’s say grace so we can eat!” Those words are music to my ears! My grandmother tells the story of my interrupting the meal time prayer because as a two year old, I thought the prayer was too long. Most of us understand and were taught as children to understand to come to the dinner table with a grateful heart and thank the Lord for His goodness.

In Revelation 3:20, we are told of God’s purpose. He wants to have great fellowship with us. How much better to do that than to share a meal! How we approach our time with our Savior is crucial to our spiritual satisfaction. Do we come to our time with Him ready to not only say grace (a deeply felt gratitude) but are we ready to live grace.

In Exodus 33:13 Moses asks, “… if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight…” As you and I seek God’s grace, He shows us His ways. Seeking grace will bring light into our lives and our circumstances. The Psalmist wrote in Psalm 84:11, For the LORD God is a sun and shield; The LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly. The Lord wants to give us His good things. He wants us to experience His goodness; to be in tune with His character. John 1:14 reveals to us the benefit of spending time with our Lord. “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth”. As we take part in a wonderful dining experience with our Savior, He imparts grace and truth. Spending unhurried time with our Savior brings the realization that “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” (2 Cor. 12:9) There is plenty of His grace! His grace satisfies. This verse in 2 Corinthians is comforting. I have always known that when my grandmother (or as I lovingly call her, “Granny Grunt) cooks a meal; there is plenty! She will say, “Take as much as you want. There is plenty more!” The great “I AM” promises the same. There is always plenty of grace. Dig in and help yourself!

Grace is given at salvation. It is only by grace that we are saved. (Eph. 2:8) We cannot buy grace. We can’t bottle grace. We cannot demand grace. Grace is a gift. We receive grace and experience grace when we enter into and remain in His fellowship. What is amazing about this bountiful grace is that as we partake of His grace; grace transforms our life. Colossians 4:6 Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. Grace is not only a necessary nutrition to spiritual health and wholeness; it is a primary season that flavors our life. A grace-filled life will affect the outflow of our heart. Hebrews. 4:16, Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Grace opens the door to a relationship with the Holy God. Grace transforms our life. Grace motivates us to come boldly before the throne.

He knocks. We open. He comes. He dines with us and gives us plenty of grace. It is satisfying and it is the most amazing meal! Sit down at the table He has prepared for you. Spread your napkin in your lap. Say ‘Grace’ and help yourself. His grace will give a helping of direction, a side dish of His goodness, a main dish of grace and truth, served with a satisfying experience of His strength in my weakness and a wonderful, pleasurable dessert that lingers on my tongue and brings sweetness to the lives of those I am surrounded by. When this meal is over; I can begin to prepare for the next meal spent with my Savior… I can go before His throne and grace will meet me there.

0 comments: