A Year in Preview

We love those moments in life when we know we finally broke “the habit”. There is excitement when we finally lose that ten pounds or the cravings finally stop and we realize we can live without that particular food. There is something exhilarating when we realize we are having banner moments! In Exodus 17:15, Moses built an altar and called it the Lord is my Banner. The Israelites had fought a difficult fight and they won because the Lord had given the victory. Some translations call it “the alter of Jehovahnissi”, which means Jehovah is my banner.

Many of us ring in a new year looking back at the past year. I admit that I enjoy watching the “Year in Review” type television specials. Whether it is the most fascinating people or greatest sports moments, I like to look back and remember. I realized that I haven’t ever faced a new year in preview. This thought crossed my mind the other day when I saw a preview of an upcoming movie. I thought to myself what if I and others went into a new year already knowing the highlights, not the outcome, but some simple highlights of how our year would go. Well, that is impossible or is it?

We can not only have a glimpse of what 2010 will be like, we can have a year in preview! How?

The Lord is my Banner” is the common thread for my life. There will be spiritual battles fought. There will be victory. There will be trial. There will be temptation. There will be weariness. There will be joy. There will be heartache. I could go on, but I think you get the picture. The Israelites had left Egypt where they were slaves and lived in bondage. The journey through the wilderness would lead them to the Promised Land. God revealed himself to them daily through a cloud by day, fire by night and Manna every morning. He was present. Battles were fought and God defeated their enemies. Jesus Christ came to us to make us free. We no longer have to live as slaves. He conquered the grave! We are set free from the stronghold of sin.

Life will be ups and there will be downs. Just as the Israelites did not have an easy journey in the wilderness and God never abandoned them. We too have that promise and more.

Hebrews 13:5, I will never leave you nor forsake you.

2 Corinthians My grace is sufficient for you; My strength is made perfect in weakness…

Psalm 71:14 But I will hope continually, and will yet praise thee more and more

Phil. 4:7 And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

Psalm 94:18 If I say, “My foot slips,” Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up.

Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

You and I will not know the details and we may not always know the “why’s” of what 2010 will hold for us… but we can have a glimpse of what will sustain the story that God will write in our lives this year. Our year in preview will be filled with hope, grace that is sufficient, peace, mercy and His amazing love. Enjoy the preview and trust Him in the details.

0 comments: