The Biggest Loser - His Strength is Perfect

The lyrics to the song, His Strength is Perfect is one of my favorite songs. Since I have been focusing on “the Biggest Loser” in my last blog postings, I began focusing more and more on the song. When we watch NBC’s Biggest Loser, I notice that the trainers really focus on strength training. Build Muscle and lose fat. That is key to reaching their long-term goals.

Personally, I hate strength training. One, I have to be honest about how weak I am. Secondly, it makes me sore. I am more of a cardio girl. I like to run, I love aerobics and I seem to get quicker results. Strength training, on the other hand, takes time. It also demands that you lift weights properly and effectively to reduce the risk of injury. It also requires balance; you don’t want to overdo and you don’t want to under achieve. Strength training requires one to be intentional.

John the Baptist stated in John 3:30, “He must increase, but I must decrease”. What does that have to do with strength training? Everything! As I choose to be strengthened in Christ, by Christ and through Christ; I will lose myself. As I am strengthened, I begin to desire the things that will continue me to be strong and I will lose the desire to sabotage my growth in Christ. In other words, my appetite begins to change.

Near the end of the Biggest Loser season, it is wonderful to watch the interviews. I notice that in the beginning of the season, the focus was on themselves and at the end they have their focus on their families and friends. They are motivated to motivate others.

We are set up the same way spiritually. When we begin to live out John 3:30 through applying Philippians 4:13, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”, we are motivated to be an example to the body of Christ and our appetites are different. Through focusing on Christ and His strength we become focused on others and are made available to minister to those around us.

There are three areas that build spiritual strength that guarantees a godly outcome. First, time spent in His Word will strengthen our soul. Living out God’s principles is most affective when we have the right motive and not a judgmental attitude. Last, when God strengthens us; it is done with balance. God desires that we are strong in Him with our heart, soul, mind and strength. He wants strength in all those areas.

As long as we focus on our weakness or we try to make ourselves stronger our way; we are keeping the focus on ourselves and we cannot live our John 3:30. It is not I must decrease so He can increase. Instead, when we let Him increase; we will decrease.

His Strength is Perfect Lyrics
I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength,
But sometimes I wonder what He can do through me;
No great success to show, No glory on my own,
Yet in my weakness He is there to let me know . . .

CHORUS
His strength is perfect when our strength is gone;
He’ll carry us when we can’t carry on.
Raised in His power, the weak become strong;
His strength is perfect, His strength is perfect.

We can only know
The power that He holds
When we truly see how deep our weakness goes;
His strength in us begins
Where ours comes to an end.
He hears our humble cry and proves again

0 comments: