Don't Forget Your Umbrella!

Psalm 119:9-16

9 How can a young person stay pure?
By obeying your word.
10 I have tried hard to find you—
don’t let me wander from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 I praise you, O Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 I have recited aloud
all the regulations you have given us.
14 I have rejoiced in your laws
as much as in riches.
15 I will study your commandments
and reflect on your ways.
16 I will delight in your decrees
and not forget your word.



Psalm 119:9-16 may not seem like verses that challenge and encourage us to be a Psalm 119 wife and then again maybe it does. I love the Psalmist’s immediate address to a young person. We can never under estimate the power of choices no matter the age. As a counselor, I see many women that are reaping the consequences of poor and unwise choices made many years ago when they thought those choices would not matter. Our former pastor, Bill Park, would often say, “Life is full of choices. Choices have consequences. Make the right choices”. So much wisdom packed into three small sentences. The Psalmist gives the key to staying pure – obedience to God’s Word. One can never under estimate the power of the inspired Word of God. Every poor and unwise choice I have made I can directly trace back to my walking in disobedience to God’s Word.

In verse ten, the psalmist gives hope! I have never met a perfect Christian. Therefore, I know no one that does have some regrets in life due to a poor choice. When you and I are reconciled to God, we should live with such intentional faith that we never want to wander from the protection of His Word. When we pursue to live a life walking in obedience to God’s commands; there is a protection over and around our heart and soul. This does not mean that we are exempt for difficult time and tragedy. Just as an umbrella protects from rain and the bright light of the sun, so it is with God’s Word. Ladies, I believe that many times, we experience the difficulties within our spirit and soul because we have forgotten our umbrella over our soul.

Our umbrella is made up of key parts that make it function perfectly.

vs 11 – Hiding God’s Word in our Hearts: Bible memory is important. Satan desires to dominate your mind. He knows that if he can wreak havoc on your thought life he has won half the battle. Our greatest defense is the Sword that is sharper than any two-edged sword. (Heb. 4:12)

Vs 12 – Praise and a Teachable spirit will keep you focused and humble. When I am praising the Mighty God; I have to acknowledge that it is not all about me. When I choose to remain teachable I am continuously humbled by the speck in my own eye. (Mt. 7:1-5)

Vs 13-14 – Reciting and Rejoicing will keep you mostly dry when life’s storms pour down. Talking about, believing and applying God’ promises and principles steady the soul. He is your anchor! (Heb. 6:19) Rejoicing in who He is and what He is doing is the constant reminder that God is bigger than the storm. Why did I say that Reciting and Rejoicing will keep you mostly dry? I think it is important to understand that no one can stay completely dry in a storm. Life Happens. God anchors. Life is unpredictable. God is the same, yesterday, today and forever. Don’t ever think that because you are reciting and rejoicing that you are magically exempt from life’s troubles. As a child of God, you are never exempt from life’s troubles but you are safe from Satan’s destruction. (Rom. 8:37-39)

Vs 15-16 – Study and not forgetting His Word is the part that holds your umbrella together. Hold to this with a grip that is firm.

The Psalm 119 wife has her umbrella ready. A storm could come at any time. The sun could be glaring and blinding her way. The Psalm 119 wife is always spiritually prepared. Her husband finds comfort in this. He knows that He can trust her to stay under the protection of God’ Word. Do you have your umbrella? Are you protected?

0 comments: