He Knew his Name

John 18:10-11, Then Simon Peter, having a sword, drew it and struck the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. The servant’s name was Malchus.
So Jesus said to Peter, “Put your sword into the sheath. Shall I not drink the cup which My Father has given Me?”

We are 25 days away from celebrating Easter! This is my favorite celebration of all. At this time of year as Easter approaches, I find myself reminiscing. I want to read and re-read the timeline that leads up to the most unexplained and victorious event in History. As I read the Easter story, I am fascinated with Peter. In the above verses, the focus is on Peter and his spontaneous act of defense. I noticed something I had never noticed before. “The Servant’s name was Malchus.” Malchus is there with the others to arrest Jesus, Peter cuts off Malchus’ ear and God finds it necessary for us to know who this man is.

Jesus did heal this man’s ear. Did that change Malchus’ heart and, I wonder if Malchus ever realized that God knew his name? In the beginning of Jesus’ darkest hours, He kept his priority the main priority: people. He rebuked the one that should have known better and reached out to the one that did not know who He was. How often do we coddle the follower of Christ and rebuke the lost person that really does not know any better. I am guilty of expecting the lost person to “act saved” and I defend the actions of a saved person. When in reality, to be a true follower of Christ, I should reach out with compassion to the person that does need Christ. I should make it a point to make sure that person knows I care and that I do see them as person in need.

What Peter did in that moment began to set him up for the rest of the night. He went from defending to becoming less defensive. He went from being aggressive to being passive. He went from honoring his Lord and Savior to hiding from his Lord and Savior.

I just wonder when Christ took His last breath if Malchus touched his own ear and simply wondered, “Could it be possible that this man is the Son of God?” I find it challenging to know that I should reach out to people that do not know Christ and therefore do not know any better. Do I leave them simply wondering why I would care so much? Or am I like Peter, defend my Savior without compassion and truly recognize that those without Christ really do not know any other way.

Jesus knew his name. He recognized Malchus’ need and met it. Jesus did not want Malchus to think that He approved of Peter’s actions. This man who was there to take Jesus to Pilate, at some point, had to have wondered about the experience he had with the Son of God. I wonder if that experience made him curious enough to become a believer. You and I come into contact with people every day. Do we leave them curious about the experience they have had that they want to know more?

0 comments: